Premier Dental Can Help You Overcome Dental Phobia
Feeling anxious prior to a dentist visit is more common than you think—reports say up to 75% of Americans have experienced some level of fear or apprehension about attending dental appointments. While this may be as minor as feeling uneasy, some avoid the dentist altogether due to their dental phobia. At Premier Dental Care, making our patients feel comfortable and at ease during their appointment is of utmost concern. We understand the fear some patients feel and it is our priority to do all we can to help.
Understanding Dental Anxiety and Dental Phobia
There are a few key differences between dental anxiety and dental phobia that are important to understand:
- Dental anxiety: Anxiety often presents itself in mild to moderate feelings of uneasiness when it comes to dental appointments or procedures. Exaggerated and possibly unfounded worries often accompany this anxiety, making it difficult to feel at ease about a visit to the dentist.
- Dental phobia: This is a severe or intense dread that arises with the thought of dental work. People suffering from this phobia aren’t merely anxious—they are often left panic-stricken or terrified. Experiencing dental phobia causes an inability or refusal to visit the dentist, which can lead to a higher risk of dental issues.
How to Overcome Dental Phobia
When visiting Premier Dental Care, you can rest assured that we have treated many patients with the same feelings you may be experiencing. Our priority is making you feel comfortable and relaxed during your time with us. To do so, we help manage your anxiety through a variety of popular methods.
- Communication is key! Informing us upfront of any fears or anxieties you may have will immediately help the situation. We will provide information that will help ease your fears by explaining what we will be helping you with.
- Distracting yourself works wonders. Many children patients are provided with a TV program or movie to help divert their attention during dental procedures. Another option is to use personal headphones to listen to your favorite music, podcast, or audiobook!
- Taking breaks eases stress. We are more than happy to pause and step away if you are feeling anxious during dental work. By signaling to us that you’d like to take a break, this is an easy way to help overcome fear.
- Oral sedation is a reliable option. While this may depend on the type of dental work you are scheduled for, various types of sedation are available to you that can aid in your ability to undergo a procedure.
Let Premier Dental Care Help You!
Dental care is extremely important for your overall health, and the team here at Premier Dental Care is committed to making your visit comfortable, easy, and helpful! We understand the apprehensions toward dental work and are more than happy to take all the necessary steps to make scheduling your next appointment fear-free. Call us now to set up your next visit!